One of my favourite US retailers Target (pronounced Tar-JAY) asked if I would pretty please come up with a few back-to-school tips.
A Modern Mother's top five tips for getting ready to go back to school:
1. If your child is feeling apprehensive about their new class (who wouldn't?) arrange a playdate with some classmates during the course of the summer. The summer break is a long one and regular contact with school mates will help to maintain stability and ease back-to-jitters.
2. Be enthusiastic about school. Point out all the fun they will have seeing their friends again and all the cool things they will learn and do. Children will take your cue, so the more positive you are about school, the more excited they will be.
3. Order uniforms and any other kit early so you have these items at hand and are your child is not disappointed if a favourite skirt is out of stock if you shop last minute (I failed to do this last year.)
4. Find out what other supplies your child will need in their new class. Let them go shopping with you and pick out their items so they feel a sense of control over the process.
5. Enjoy the rest of the summer! It's your chance to spend quality time with your kids and it will be over before you know it.
Please add your top tips below.
This post was written by Susanna, a London Mums Blog founding contributor. You can read more at her blog, A Modern Mother.